Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:20:27 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Sharad Chandra <sharadc@niksun.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gcc -m32 option on amd64.

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY

On 2007-Jul-27 15:13:48 +0530, Sharad Chandra <sharadc@niksun.com> wrote:
>I am trying gcc -m32 on freebsd 6.1 amd64 env, but it does not seems to be=
=20
>working. i also installed /usr/port/lang/linux-libgcc/ but did not help
>what i did is=3D>
>echo "main () {}" > t.c; gcc -m32 t.c
>/usr/bin/ld: skipping=20
>incompatible /usr/local/lib/gcc/x86_64-portbld-freebsd6.1/4.2.0/gcc/x86_64=
-portbld-freebsd6.1/4.2.0/libgcc.a=20
>when searching for -lgcc
>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
>how can we make this working?

You are using gcc 4.2 from ports.  I suspect this only includes the
64-bit libraries.  gcc in the base system includes both 32-bit and
64-bit libraries by default but it still suffers the same problem.

I had a go at fixing the problem in amd64/112215 but this has other
problems and needs more work.  Note that non-trivial code will break
because <machine/XXXX.h> points at amd64 headers whilst the -m32
compiler needs i386 headers in many cases.  There's a non-trivial
amount of work needed to actually get cross-building working.  I
suggest you look throught the FreeBSD-amd64 archives.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY--