Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 01:48:00 -0600
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        wmcdowell@usa.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named.boot problem

What are you using to edit the named.boot file? One of my old co-workers
decided to edit named.boot with microsoft word pad and upload it, it
changed the format of file, put spaces instead of tabs, really strange
stuff began to happen. I allways used vi, but if this isn't the case maybe
you should post your named.boot file.

Later

At 11:53 AM 10/31/97, wmcdowell@usa.net wrote:

>Hello,
>
>   I'm not sure if this is the right place to email, and if not, please
let me know so I can forward my question/problem to the correct person. I'm
setting up a DNS server, and I'm having a problem with the named.boot file.
I've tried different configurations that I found on the net, and I've also
tried following the suggested setup under your "tutorials: Creating a mini
DNS server". The problem I'm having is with the line that starts with:
directory

>The way the line looks in the named.boot file is like this:
>
>directory         /etc/namedb
>
>In the space between directory and /etc/namedb are 2 tabs. (I've also
tried it with just a space). The error I keep getting is when I reboot the
machine is:

>Doing additional network setup: named ns named[82]:
/etc/namedb/named.boot:20: syntax error near directory