Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 15:22:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mail dilvery ?'s

Greetings,

I'm attempting unsuccessfully to sort/dilver mail on my system.  I'm
running 3.0-current w/ smail (not running in daemon mode) and fetchmail.
This machine is configured as a gateway for 1 Lose95 client.  I have ppp
on-demand setup and working.  Thanks to the help I received from other
users, fetchmail now works correctly w/o routed so ppp on-demand now works
on-demand instead of keeping up a permanent connection :).  Here's my
current problem/?:

My ISP will forward all email in the form of
<anything>@bsampley.vip.best.com to my email account.  I would like to
setup a userid on my system as a 'mailbox' for the Lose95 client in the
form of <new user id>@bsampley.best.com. How do I get smail/fetchmail to
sort/deliver incoming email to the correct userid?  One thing that might
complicate this is I also have an email account at CSUH which fetchmail
convenient retrieves.

Presently all email received by fetchmail is delivered to
burton@bsampley.vip.best regardless of who the email is addressed to.  I
tried adding -mda "/usr/libexec/mail.local %s" in my .fetchmailrc file but
that didn't work.  I tried copying my .fetchmailrc file into the root
directory and running fetchmail as root, but it has the same effect (when
fetchmail is started in an xterm window w/su to root). I also tried adding
-mda "/usr/local/bin/smail -oem".  No luck there either.  If I run
fetchmail from the /etc/rc.local file in the daemon mode, all message are
delivered to root.

I have modified /etc/aliases by adding the following lines:

bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu: burton
bsampley@best.com:		 burton

and then mkaliases.

After reading man pages and searching freebsd.org, I couldn't locate
any useful info on how to do this.  Any suggestions?

---
Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
system at http://www.freebsd.org

E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)