Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 1995 08:27:28 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        "Michael J. Caughey" <mcaughey@mgsinc.com>
Cc:        Pete Kruckenberg <pete@dsw.com>, Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>, Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Byet April 95 no ref to screennd

  From: "Michael J. Caughey" <mcaughey@mgsinc.com>

  >  screend was discussed on hackers a while ago.  Check the archives.
  >
  >  screend is on ftp.vix.com (Paul Vixie's FTP site).

  The only problem that I found with screend, is that there is no support for s
>>creend. I
  tried for a month to work out a deal with the author to get support.  He coul
>>dn't
  guarantee the security of his product, he said his hands were legally tied.
>>I never
  found out what kind of product it was.  It could very well be a good firewall
>>.  I
  simply can't rely on a product whos author can't legally validate its securit
>>y.

I'd be surprised if you could find -any- firewall package that would
"legally validate its security."  An author or company would have to
be positively and absolutely insane to do so,  and I'd run away from
them as quickly as possible, because I'd figure if they're that stupid
then their product is probably crap too.