Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:03:56 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        ipfreak@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: loader.conf

--------------enig66962C36A63CBDF8D19A8564

gahn wrote:
> Hi all:
>=20
> I have a machine with 2GB memory. in the file loader.conf, there is a l=
ine:
>=20
> #hw.physmem=3D"1G"                # Limit physical memory. See loader(8=
)
>=20
> Could I remove the "#" and change that to "2G"?
>=20
> Interestingly, the sysctl indicates the parameter of "hw.physmem" is no=
t changeable.
>=20
> Any guru here give me some enlightenment?

hw.physmem is a loader tunable: ie. you can only set it from the boot
loader before the kernel is fully operational.  Once the kernel is runnin=
it can't be altered.

hw.physmem is designed to let you test running a kernel with less RAM
than is physically installed in a machine.  Not having to pop the case
and physically pull memory sticks out can be pretty useful.  It's not of
general interest -- only for kernel and various other software developers=

in the main -- as the usual thing is to make use of all the RAM you have
available or (in the case of 32bit machines) that the system is capable o=
addressing.=20

If hw.physmem is unset in loader.conf the kernel will automatically use a=
ll
the memory available to it: this is the correct and desirable behaviour f=
or
the vast majority of systems.  For a 2GB machine, that means the system w=
ill
use all the RAM that's installed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew