Date:      Mon, 01 Apr 1996 10:59:40 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: spurious problems with a P150 system

Hi, Reference:
> From: "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> Subject: Re: spurious problems with a P150 system
> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 18:08:01 +0100
>
> Now and then it happens now that files are clobbered.

How clobbered ?  Zero sized or screwed data ?

I have a current problem that was initially assumed software/OS rev/incompat.
libs etc, but turns out to be a flaky disk: HP 97548S C023" type 0 fixed SCSI 1
Every so often 8 bytes in my files get zapped to 0xFF.

Your err. condition is no doubt different to mine, but you might want to
check your disc, so I'm privately mailing you a little program called
testblock.c + man, simply use it to write than check one enormous file on
the remaining space on that file system.

Unix FSs dont generally have Cksums in, 'cos it would heavily impact the
performance particularly when accessing large files.  Normally disks
supposedly have error recovery electronics, but if that fails ....

Intriguingly I have 2 `identical' HP drives, & the bad one has an extra
jumper on, without which the scsi bus hangs during boot, I rather suspect
this is some kind of
	`over-ride the default hang-on-err-detect-in-cache-boot-check'
strap, but I don't know 'cos I only have the `Product Description Manual'
& not a factory/service manual.

testblock.c should hopefully help nail down where your problem is,
it's probably software, but if it unexpectedly is flaky hardware,
testblock.c might catch it for you :-)

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/