Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:06:25 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        "Roger A. Lowe" <rlowepe@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are you?

On Apr 04, 1998 at 09:55:06AM -0700, Roger A. Lowe wrote:
> I have been using a computer as a productivity tool for 20 years.
> Most of the time it has been a benefit.
>
> I am newly a user of the internet, and stumbled on to you through a
> link from Washingtion University.
>
> For years I have been frustrated with Microsoft DOS, and what seems to
> me to be unnecessary complexity and obscurity.
>
> If I understand what I am reading, Unix is a generic name for a group
> of operating systems that does very much the same thing as MSDOS.

Yes, I suppose that you could put it that way.  However, comparing
Unix to MSDSOS is roughly equivalent to comparing a cargo jet to
a single seater turboprop; they both "provide" the same functionality.

> You are a volunteer organization that is maintaining and developing
> a comprehensive form of Unix.  Am I right so far?

Yup.

> Next, I gather that at least in your opinion, FreeBSD Unix is more
> stable, and more flexible than MSDOS, Windows etc.  Am I still on target?

Yup.

> Finally, am I to understand that FreeBSD is compatible with any intel
> cpu compatible computer, and with the existing internet, WWW or similar
> computer interconnectivity systems?

Definitely so.  In fact, a large portion of the Internet runs on Unix
machines (FreeBSD or similar), although you wouldn't realize it from
listening to Microsoft.

> I hope all this is true.  Maybe we do not have to be dependent on
> Microsoft after all.

I would hope not.  I'd hate to think that I've spent the last 10 years
or so being unproductive simply because I don't use any M$ software.  :-)
--
Jonathan