Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 2002 14:52:47 +0900 (KST)
From:      CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>
To:        spork@inch.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote upgrade stops ssh connections

From: Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 01:44:05 -0400 (EDT)

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, CHOI Junho wrote:
>
> > At first machine, I typed "killall -1 sshd". All my session
> > disconnected and I couldn't login.
>
> That's not surprising.  Don't use killall unless you want to drop your
> current connection.
>
> >  At second machine, I typed
> > "(killall -9 sshd; /usr/sbin/sshd)" and the same thing happened.
>
> You need not move up to a sledgehammer.
>
> Just kill the parent process.  Try restarting it.  If it doesn't restart,
> investigate why by looking in the logs.  Fix whatever complaint there is
> in the logs (changes to sshd_config between versions, forgetting to
> update your pam config file, not reading UPDATING).

I used install{kernel,world} and mergemaster. sshd_config is
overwritten to new one(may /usr/src/crypto/openssh/sshd_config),
pam.conf is overwritten also(I didn't touch sshd_config and pam.conf
before, and I usually does not touch), and UPDATING doesn't say much
about this thing.

> If, for example the reason it wasn't restarting was due to an error in the
> config file, a reboot would do little to help you.  This is not Windows,
> rebooting is not the best way to fix a problem.

I know. But I upgraded kernel and userland, so someday I must reboot
to finalize upgrade procedure. And when I rebooted without touching
anything, all problem goes out and I can login into the server without
touching sshd_config or pam.conf. In my not-so-long freebsd
experience it is very rare event so I am confused very much.

--
 +++ Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my employers +++
 CHOI Junho [sleeping now]                    <http://www.kr.FreeBSD.org/~cjh>;