Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:24:10 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who is this Charlie guy in /etc/passwd?

Brett Glass wrote:
> At 08:38 AM 6/13/2002, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> >   ``I cringe when I see them,'' says the movie critic Roger Ebert, a
> >   hatitue of CompuServe, interviewed via e-mail. On the other hand, he
> >   adds, ``smileys might be a real help for today's students, raised on
> >   TV and unskilled at spotting irony without a laugh track.''
>
> Ebert fails to recognize that what the smiley is substituting for
> is intonation, which (in most cultures) is what disambiguates irony.

Brett has just made a Shakespearian "aside" to the audience,
as if the other players up on the stage with him can not hear
him, simply because he has used the stage directions of:

1)	Looking directly to the audience.

2)	Put his right hand up, flat, thumb towards his body, index
	finger to the left of his mouth, and pinky toward the
	audience.

This is a dramatic technique called a "stage whisper", very much
like the one you are reading right now...

Next, we shall learn about the "Deux Ex Machina" or "God From the
Machine"...

-- Terry