Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 23:42:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What ever happened to... ?

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 1.  The "BSD Consortium" or whatever proposed awhile back. Everyone
> >     was so eager to donate $$$, but then it just died.
>
> I have no idea, though I've finally provided details on donating to
> FreeBSD itself for those interested, see:
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/submitters.html
>
> (it's also chapter 17 of the handbook).
>
> I haven't collected enough to buy so much as a disk drive yet, but
> hope springs eternal.  There are about 3-4 developers who could really
> use development systems, and I'd certainly like to build them ones.

	Why not have some sort of "registration" fee, or something
similar with a different name, that gives some sort of "extra level
of service" or something...

	Erk...

	The idea is some sort of fund raising in order to help support,
hardware wise, those that are developing the OS, and/or drivers for
it.

	For instance...someone here mentioned something about t-shirts
and whatnot?  That was the first I've ever heard about it, and the
last.

	Or, how about a list of what is required, and approx. costs
for it.  Break it down according to some sort of "development group".

	Then, individuals could support those aspects that are
important to them.

	Personally, if proper accounting procedures were put into
place so that one were kept informed abotu how much money came in,
and how much went to different projects, I'd be willing to "pay for
support" in the way of development on the OS.

	*shrug*  I don't know...how many ppl out there know enough to
help Terry out with continuing the SMP development, but can't afford
the hardware, or don't personally need it?

	Or, hey, here's one...who makes up the FreeBSD CDroms?  how
much does it cost to make them?  how much of a markup do "resellers"
put on them?  how hard would it be to setup a network of "distributors"
that are associated with "the Project" who basically keeps a limited
stock of the CDroms available for resale, with "all profits going back
to the Project"?  Better yet, what would it take to make a CDrom
distribution "in house" so that you could offer up to date
distributions?

	And *takes deep breath* finally, how many ppl are using
FreeBSD right now?  Does anyone have any statistics on it?

	This is only meant to provide ideas, altho some are just
possibly ridiculous...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc