Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:43:17 +0800
From:      Kev <tech@geo.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How do I access my root partition?

I have installed FreeBSD 3 times now, and am becoming increasingly frustrated
by the install programme, namely the fdisk part.  I have 3 hard drives in my
machine, disk1 is Win98, disk2 is linux, and I wish to install FreeBSD on the
third.

I cannot for the life of me seem to successfully write the boot manager to my
primary drive.

This is what I wish to do:

1)	Create a BDS partition and slice on disk3
2)	Write the boot manager to disk1
3)	Continue with the install process
4)	Boot from disk1, and be able to select any one of these OS's

The problem is that the booter refuses to look at anything but disk1 and
continually panicks when it can't find a root partition on disk1 when I want
it to look on disk3!!!

Is there a way that I can edit the /boot/default/loader.conf file from the
spartan command line?

Please HELP my hair is getting thin!

Regards,

Kev.