Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:42:17 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        rl@overlypub.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file in use?

rl@overlypub.com wrote:

> My first question is: In the event of a slow ftp upload, how can I make
> perl wait until the file is done?  As far as I can tell, ftpd does not lock
> the file while it is being uploaded.

I don't see an easy, reliable way to do that. (You might be able to use
lsof, but it seems like a bit of an ugly hack to me.)

> Second question: How can I have this script run automatically at startup?
> If there is a problem, I want the script to quit, so I don't want to use
> cron.  I tried an entry in rc.local but I don't think that is right either.
> Are there any other options besides these two?

/etc/rc.local is one way (I prefer it), the other way is to add a .sh
shell script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d (rc.d is good for packages to use,
but for things I add manually, I prefer rc.local). In what way didn't it
work when you tried using rc.local, or are you saying it did work, but
you just didn't think it was the "right" way? If it works, use it.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D