Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:46:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP server recommendations

Nik Clayton wrote:
> > THis becomes particularly obvious if you convert
> > the code to C++ and then use a pure virtual base class for provider
> > instances, since it shows up as instance initialization errors.
>
> Hand on heart, that's not something I plan on doing.

8-).  It's a diagnostic method, not a suggestion.

> I'm partial to SquirrelMail as the front end (even if it is written in
> PHP).

It one of the chunks of code I would use as a reference
implementation, were I to do the job.

> > > As would easy integration with Procmail.
> >
> > Procmail is a mail delivery agent (MDA) integration issue, and
> > is almost totally unrelated to the IMAP server you choose.  If
> > you are planning on Cyrus IMAP, then the "deliver" program can
> > also support the "sieve" facility, which you can use to get many
> > of the procmail behaviours.
>
> Then I have to rewrite all my procmail rules.

You can use procmail anyway.  You just can't use it as the
MDA in a mailer rule.  It's pretty trivial to invoke it
then invoke deliver using a sendmail rule.

The benefit of sieve is that you are probably going to have
to rewrite things anyway, to deal with folders, and sieve
has intrinsic support for folders.  For procmail, you will
need to use "+"'ed addressing.

> > > Any recommendations?  There are several in the ports tree, but I don't
> > > have enough real world experience with any of them to choose one, and
> > > life's too short to try all of them.
> >
> > Almost no webmail client does all the necessary work for proper
> > MIME decoding.  This is a shortfall of PHP, whose primary reason
> > for living has always seemed (to me) to be webmail clients.
> > There are no decent PHP4 books (I generally judge them by their
> > ability to directly render MIME without a hell of a lot of code).
>
> Again, not really an issue.  The web front end is only when I'm on the
> road and can't get an internet connection from the laptop, and only have
> access to a web kiosk.

Are there such things as "web kiosks", other than in the lurid
imaginations of companies like "Loud Cloud" and other "web services"
companies, who believe in non-traditional business models?  8-) 8-).

Be aware that a MIME rendered that isn't completely safe can be used
to propagate worms, virii, etc.., to the system running the browser.

-- Terry