Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:57:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), nbasila@epcot.revenio.com (Nicholas Basila), jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

> > >Hmmm,
> > >
> > >    Well, I never liked their laptops, anyway. I'm surprised they don't
> > >support RH Linux. I'm glad to know that they support all the lousy MS
> > >operating systems ...
> >
> > IBM's tactics are the old "bait and switch." They want users to
> > move to AIX, not FreeBSD or Linux. Unfortunately, their PR people
> > have pretended to jump on the Linux bandwagon in a big way, and
> > this hurts the BSDs.
>
> If anyone listening to this lives near Brett, we'd all appreciate it if
> you'd drop by and talk him into taking up the medication again.

I think he was commenting on the surprise expressed that RH Linux
was not listed as a supported OS.

As a former insider, I have to say that there is a very large and
vocal Linux advocacy, to the point of having internal conferences
on Linux, hosted at Almaden research center, where one of the
primary focii was internal Linux advocacy.

The IBM PR machine loves Linux, since Linux gets you column-space
in trade rags, and anything that looks like an attack on the
Microsoft oligarchy/hegemony is considered "fit to print", or at
least "proper editorial cannon fodder".

But I have to say that I'm not at all surprised about the Linux
"omission", or the phrasing of the statements about "Caldera
OpenLinux" and "Do not install a non-supported operating system".

The lawyers have quite a different take: if you want to use GPL
code, or any other code with a source distribution requirement,
you are required to attend a "handling toxic waste that will
destroy your patent rights" class, before you are allowed to even
touch it.  You also have to get "cleared" copies of the code from
internal IBM servers, so that IBM patents aren't infringed by you
using a newer version of the code.

There is an 18 page presentation that most of the internal search
engines will point you to, when you are going through the exercise
of trying to find information internally.  It boils down to "how
to double-glove before putting on your biohazard suit to enter a
class 5 hot zone containing live Ebola".

FWIW, the "recovery procedure" they allude to is to use their
recovery CDROM, which will basically repartition and reinstall the
default software that came with the machine.  I'll guess that they
don't recommend specific recovery instructions (and refer only to
"various utilities") as a hold harmless measure, since the
recovery CD will effectively blow away any user data on the drive,
and they don't want to be held responsible for that.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.