Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:25:12 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much security should ldconfig enforce?

In message <XFMail.000726193613.jdp@polstra.com> John Polstra writes:
: I am building a bike shed, and I was wondering if you could advise
: me about what color it should be. :-)

'Blue, no green'

: What do you folks think about this?

I see two types of system on a regular basis.  One is where you are
running stock everything and writable anything is a big problem.

The other is where I'm developing things all over the place and want
shared libaries to be writable or at least the dirs they are in.
Sometimes I'll want to further have ldconfig these dirs too.

So, my suggestion would be to have -S option.  That way people that
want to have extra high security can have it.

Warner