Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:34:38 -0400
From:      "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste@smxy.org>
To:        ste@smxy.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need vinum info/advice, fast.

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-root.html

> http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.pdf

Ok. I've read both documents, which were quite educational. Thanks. :)

It seems that what I want to do is install to the first system disk, as
normally, and then convert that disk to a vinum disk, using the method
described starting on page 237 of the above vinum.pdf.

The steps aren't entirely clear to me, after that, as to how to make the
second disk a vinum drive that is a mirror of the first.

Do I just partition it as normally, but saying that the partition types
are type vinum? Then do I format those new partitions, and then describe
the volume, plexes and subdisks in the configuration file, adding each
subdisk to the existing setup so it will mirror? Do I ever even have to
format thos partitions, or does vinum just recreate the filesystems bit
by bit?

I'm not sure I'm asking the right questions. Pointers are most welcome. :)

	-ste