Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:57:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cvsup3/ftp5 downtime this weekend

<<On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:17:56 -0400 (EDT), I wrote:

> As promised yesterday, I'm about to take cvsup3/ftp5 down to replace
> the machine and disks that it lives on.

I have now brought up the new machine and everything seems to be
operating normally (or as close as possible, anyway).  For those
following along at home, it did in fact take about six hours to copy
over all 624,039 files, directories, and symbolic links (totalling
about 62 GBytes) from the old archive disks to the new RAID array.
Only about 2/3 of that is FreeBSD, and those files will be moving back
to the old disks within a week or so (but with a filesystem layout
that will provide much more space).  Current stats on the cvsup mirror
are as follows:

/dev/da1s1d   3.9G   2.3G   1.3G    63%  168612  350554    32%   /u

I'll be watching performance closely to see how the new machine is
working out.  (By rights it should be about 2-1/2 times faster for
cvsup, and about the same for ftp.)

-GAWollman