Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:27:05 -0500
From:      "Richard S. Conto" <rsc@merit.edu>
To:        "Kevin McCormick" <kmccorm1@stevens-tech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, rsc@merit.edu
Subject:   Re: Getting wi and wicontrol under control

When I tried to use a Lucent/Agere/Orinoco Gold 802.11b card with
encryption turned on, it choked.  I couldn't use 128 bit encryption,
and when I tried 40 bit encryption, I got long delays and lots of
retransmitted packets with a throughput of an ancient 300 baud/bps modem.

This was against a Link-Sys "Cable/DSL router/access point" with upgraded
firmware (to support 128 bit encryption.)  This works fine with the same
hardware under Windows/98SE, using Orinoco/Agere proprietary drivers, etc.

This card uses the "wi" driver.

If you search around, you'll see some comments about how the interface
to this card isn't published, except through some simple minded API
(that the "wi" code was based on.)  Someone has worked with Lucent/Orinoco/Agere
to get encryption working, but hasn't been able to release it due to licensing
issues.

I suspect you'll have to run without encryption.  The War-Drivers will love you.
MAC address filtering won't help much. It's sort of like closing the door without
locking it. (Not that 802.11b/WEP is all that secure anymore.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3000 (cira 1997.)