Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 2002 22:29:22 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, scott@bsdprophet.org, kstewart@owt.com, grog@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some questions about upgrade and /etc/ files

Desmond Lee wrote:

> Sorry to keep bugging you darren
>
> >We're talking about you reloading the 4.4-R /etc files and going through
> >your configuration again, not rolling back /etc by hand.
>
> i'm not quite sure i understand what you mean.

When you ran mergemaster, it made a lot of changes to the contents of
/etc, as well as numberous other files (nothing that it's utterly
crucial to being able to get through make world, though).  Thus, if
you download the original 4.4-R /etc files, there will be a lot of
differences you don't need to worry about.

So, download the original 4.4-R files and put them in /etc.  There are
some files you should leave untouched.  Namely fstab, rc.conf,
resolv.conf, and your rebuilt master.passwd and group files.  Once
you've done that, go through the make world process, running
`mergemaster -p` before the buildworld again just to double check that
the crucial files are sane enough for a make world.

Once you've gotten through the make world process and run mergemaster.
Your system should be in about as sane a state as you can get it.  You
can then go in and reconfigure your system.

Does that make a bit more sense now?

 I'm suppose to grab the /etc/
> files from release 4.4 and then do a comparison between thoes files just
> downloaded from the source tree to what i got on my system. Then incorporate
> any changes into the files that i downloaded. Thus, for every file that's in
> the /etc/ dir that i get from the source tree i have to put in the changes
> from file particular to my os. so, if this is true, i only have to do it for
> certain files? Do you know which files (in my /etc/ dir) that have info
> particular to my system,

That varies from system to system, but the common ones are:
/etc/rc.conf
/etc/rc.firewall (if you're using ipfw)
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/inetd.conf
/etc/fstab (mergemaster doesn't touch this one, btw)

Other files that need to exist, but may not need to be modified:
aliases
crontab
csh.*
hosts*
login.conf
mail.rc
newsyslog.conf
pam.conf
ssh/sshd_config
ttys

Some files that may also need to be configured, but don't normally,
and don't necessarily need to exist:
dhclient.conf
ftpchroot
ftpusers