Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:12:35 -0400
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
To:        "Mark Linvill" <mlinvill@cioe.com>, "Chris Cook" <ccook@tcworks.net>
Cc:        "Martin" <marrandy@tampabay.rr.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2 queries

Hi Mark,

    Sorry to slightly advocate an M$ product, though IMHO, Access is quite
useful for small to medium size applications..

    Though I have seen a NT Workstation (180Mhz PPro, 128M ram, Western
Digital Cavier IDE drive (just one 4G)), O'Reilly Website Pro 2.x, and
Allaire ColdFusion Application Server 4.0 Enterprise, serving 100 sites
(pretty heavy load), running solely Access databases.. It runs good, and
gives less problems than the Dell PowerEdge 2300 that was intended to
replace it.

    At the same time, in an environment, where about 6 sites are completed a
week at times, access contributed to that fast development (in combination
with ColdFusin). I don't think ASP would come close to those results w/IIS..

    The sites databases will soon be transported to MySQL, since we've
managed to get ColdFusion to use the MySQL ODBC driver.. A little more
progress on there end, and hopefully ODBC can be pulled out of the loop
(after all these years, still bugs remaining).

    Anyways, the #1 reason access was used, "Someone bought office". #2, it
had an interface that made it easy to use. Similiar tools could be made to
give the same kind of interface to the Free Source Unix Databases..

    Anyways, I'm just delighted that now CF is stably connecting to
MySQL(MyODBC), so in a short time, access will be gone, except as a
development tool =)

Eric A. Griff <eric@setjmp.com>, http://www.setjmp.com
setjmp Software                   Your source for custom
181 Genesee Street            Software Solutions.
Suite 504
Utica, NY 13501
ICQ# 28146852
Office: (315) 734-1668 Extension 205