Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:18:10 -0500
From:      "sysadmin@mfn.org" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Anything Special about 1930?

Greetings.

   Once again, I present with a tale of the weird:  My secondary
nameserver has always had the wrong time, but since it does
nothing but DNS, I've never bothered to correct it: until yesterday.

   Like all of our machines, it runs ntpdate -sb on bootup and
at midnight every day.  Nevertheless, heres ns2's "date":

jb214@ns2$ date

Sat Aug  2 08:57:13 CDT 1930

   And here are the relevent log entries:

Aug  1 19:06:58 ns2 ntpdate[200]: step time server 192.52.106.6 offset 0.001704
Aug  1 19:09:25 ns2 named[85]: secondary zone "mfn.org" time warp
Aug  1 19:47:57 ns2 named[85]: secondary zone "mfn.org" time warp
Aug  1 20:04:27 ns2 named[85]: secondary zone "mfn.org" time warp
Aug  1 20:37:54 ns2 named[85]: secondary zone "mfn.org" time warp

   Since NS2 is "headless" and I'll leave this as is if I can't resolve
it *easily*, but I'm puzzled.  Why won't ntpdate correct the date? Also,
the time is off, even though I have the time zone set and the daemon
running:

jb214@ns2$ ps -wax
  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
    0  ??  DLs    0:00.57  (swapper)
    1  ??  IWs    0:00.22 /sbin/init --
    2  ??  DL     0:00.79  (pagedaemon)
    3  ??  DL     0:01.87  (vmdaemon)
    4  ??  DL     0:14.74  (update)
   23  ??  IWs    0:00.06 adjkerntz -i
   80  ??  Ss     0:04.79

Go figure?  While I'm at it, what does the "time warp" message
actually *mean*?  I can *see* that the time is wrong, but how
is it that named knows something is wrong?  And precisely
what is it that named is trying to tell me?

TIA,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

"If government wants us to behave, then it should set a better example."