Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 07:11:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem w/dump & Archive (Conner) Python tape drives

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >I am having problems trying to run dump to either of my Archive
> >Python DAT tape drives (one is an autoloader, the other not).
> >Right at the time dump claims to be dumping the directories dump
> >goes into an infinite wait.  If I cancel (via Cntl-C) the dump
> >command the system will eventually require rebooting do to (false?)
> >errors on the disk drive (which is on a different NCR 810 SCSI
> >controller).
> >
> >I have tried this with both of my tape drives and with both an NCR
> >810 adapter and an Adaptec 2940 adapter with the same results.
> >
> >Writing to/reading from the drives with tar and/or team works fine.
> >
> >The system is a 166MHz Pentium with a Triton 2 MB running -current
> >(as of 6/20).  Is anybody out there able to get dump to work with
> >these tape drives (mine are both DDS-2 [4/8gb] drives)?
>
> The changes I just made to st.c today may affect your problem.  My
> DDS-2 phython works fine with dump now, although I never tested it
> with the old code (it was on my -stable box).

As it turns out, the problems I was having were related to the
disks I was trying to dump, not the tape drive.  In despiration I
tried dumping the same disks to /dev/null and had the same hang.
I believe I have some problem on the SCSI bus that that the disks
on that system that dump must trigger.  I moved the tape drive to
another system (I only had it on that one for testing) and it worked
ok.

BTW, since you have one of these tape drives, perhaps you can tell
me how to enable/disable compression.  I had hoped that it would
default to compress on but so far it appears to not want to write
more than appx 4GB on a tape so it looks like it might have
compression off.

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox