Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:53:49 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running Sybase...

> I've been working on getting linux version Sybase going on
> FreeBSD 2.2.7.  What I've discovered so far, more or less in the
> order of discover...
>
> [details of wrangling with rpm's omitted.]
>
> 1. The emulator load executables using ld-linux.so.1 but the
>    sybase binaries just segfault unless started with
>    ld-linux.so.2.  For the moment I'm just using a symlink to
>    get around this.

There's a very simple patch I committed to -current to get around this;
you should have no trouble at all bringing that back to -stable.

> 3. Next, the SIOCSPGRP ioctl isn't handled by the emulator.
>    This is a relatively simple fix once I found out what the
>    failing ioctl actually was. (I added a couple other related
>    ioctls that were missing while I was at it.)

Commit?  Diffs?

> 4. With that done, the dataserver launches without any error
>    messages. But at or near the end of initialization it falls
>    into a loop generating the message:
>
>       Linux-emul(1531): setup() not supported

This actually usually means that you've received a syscall outside the
range that we handle - it's effectively an "unknown syscall" message.

>    This is a bit puzzling.  Ktrace shown this as the loop:

This is with standard kdump, right?  You should use linux_kdump out of
the ports collection.

>      1531 dataserver CALL  getdomainname
>      1531 dataserver RET   getdomainname RESTART
>      1531 dataserver CALL  getdomainname
>      1531 dataserver RET   getdomainname RESTART
>
>    So I'm puzzled.

You're definitely using the standard kdump - getdomainname is syscall
162, but under Linux that's nanosleep(), and what you're seeing there
looks about right for an idle applications.

> 5. The client library has some problems recv, somehow associated
>    with failed hostname lookups...it is returning "invalid
>    argument".  Maybe the same problem as #4?

What are you linking the client library with?