Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:36:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu (Garance A Drosihn)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for libpng-0.99e.tar.gz

Garance A Drosihn babbled:
> From drosih@rpi.edu Thu Jul 13 19:00:16 2000

> At 4:46 PM -0500 7/13/00, Jerry Dunham wrote:
> >I'm attempting to install a port for the first time, and it's been
> >interesting.  I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.6,      [...skipping...]
> >
> >For a first experience with the FreeBSD Ports, this has been rather ...
> >er ... challenging.  I hope they're not all this way.
>
> Given that you are doing this in freebsd 2.2.6, which is probably
> close to three years old, it will probably be rather challenging
> to do any ports.  Things move too fast, and when you are dealing
> with ports then you are dealing with things that are also outside
> of freebsd's direct control.

Everyone else may be moving too fast, but I'm just trying to keep using
what works.   :-)

> It might be too much of a jump to go to freebsd 4.0-stable, but
> could you at least make a jump to freebsd-3.5?  or even 3.0?
> That would at least get you to the other side of the ELF switch,
> and that should make things considerably easier.

I've read some scare stories about upgrading from 2.2.x to 3.x.  Since
I've never done an upgrade before it's a bit scary for me, anyway.  If
I lose this machine I'll be in a world of hurt.  I have no other net
access.  I DO have a set of 3.3 CDs handy, but I doubt what's on there
would be suitable for use with my 2.2.6 system.

> Do you have a CD-set for freebsd 2.2.6, 2.2.7, or 2.2.8?  Perhaps
> the CD of distribution tarballs for ports would help you out.

Hmmmm....  I may have a set around here SOMEwhere.  I wonder....

Nope.  What I have is 2.1.5, 2.2.2, and 3.3.  I think this 2.2.6 came
from a borrowed CD.  Darn.  I suppose I could ask -questions whether
someone still has a 2.2.6 set they could search for this.  I just checked
the 2.2.2 disk, and the version of png it has is 0.89c.  *sigh*

Thanks for the ideas.

Does anyone out there have a 2.2.6 set still lying around?

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD             http://www.dunham.org
jdunham@fc.net               jerry@dunham.org            (512)335-0674 (H)

                             E Pluribus Unix