Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:33:50 -0800
From:      Fred Condo <fcondo@csuchico.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck won't clear dirty bit; pr 6794

Problem report 6794 says:

> After a system crash where the root file system needs to be
> recovered, mount refuses to remount the root file system,
> claiming it is not clean.  A second fsck finds no problems.
> After rebooting, the file system is found to be clean and can
> be mounted without problems.

I have a system running FreeBSD 2.2.6 that is exhibiting what I think is
this problem, but the file system is not showing up clean. Should I 1)
mount -fav in single-user mode, then enter multi-user mode, 2) do a cold
restart, or 3) panic?

Many thanks for any assistance. Apologies to Greg Lehey for emailing him
before reading his web site.
--
Fred Condo + fcondo@csuchico.edu + http://webclass.csuchico.edu/
fredcondo@acm.org                +      fredcondo on Yahoo Pager