Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 12:11:58 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jens Langecker" <paule@studcs.uni-sb.de>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD free for Universities

On Fri, 09 Oct 1998 17:37:31 +0200, Jens Langecker wrote:

>We want to use Free-BSD on our network in the university. So I want to
>know: is Free- BSD also free for educational use?

Yes

>We need the computers for research in (chemical) databases. Many
>software for this has been developed for Linux. Does this software also
>run under Free-BSD without any changes?

Since you didn't mention it by name, I can't say specifically...
But FreeBSD runs quite a bit on Linux software via Linux emulation.  If
you can find an email address for the developers of the particular
software, ask them.  If it doesn't work, they may be able to make it
work with a few minor changes.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.