Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 12:29:18 +0100
From:      Dieter Rothacker <didi@Xterminator.STUDFB.UniBw-Muenchen.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA driver as the default

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 19:36:38 -0800, David O'Brien wrote:

>Since the ATA driver is destined to be the default in 4.0-R, and we hare
>hitting the feature freeze date; can we make the switch now?
>
>I think it is very important to get ATA into more hands to see where it
>breaks.  It certainly has problems on my Vaio 505 laptop; and I wonder
>where else it will have problems.  Better to find them now than right
>before release.

So far, the ATA driver works flawlessly with my PIIX3 and my Abit Hotrod66
PCI card (HPT366 chip). When I have my system set up completely, I will do
some stress tests.
The linux driver for the HPT366 is seriously broken, it never got the IRQ
handling right when both channels on the chip were used and actually
transferred data in parallel (I have one IBM UDMA66 drive on each channel) -
I hope FreeBSD's driver is better :-)
--
Dieter Rothacker