Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:09:01 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        Dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: home encrypted from install (freebsd 6.1)

--Sig__12fWLmiT7nU0NqyxmN7M8M

"Dave" <dmehler26@woh.rr.com> wrote:

>     I'm about to do a 6.1 install on a new box. I'm separating /home in t=
he=20
> filesystem so it's a system of it's own. During the install maybe after t=
he=20
> install, but before the reboot i'd like to encrypt /home so that any data=
=20
> written to it after reboot will be encrypted. I was wondering if it was=20
> possible to do this during the install? If it is how would it effect=20
> programs like x? I'm going to have two users, one doing console logins, t=
he=20
> other will have x whenever he logs in, i don't want the encryption to get=
 in=20
> the way of this.

As far as I remember, there is a console available during install.
You should be able to create the slices and partitions with sysintall
and afterwards switch to the console to do the rest.

I don't see why you think x should care if the home partition is
encrypted or not. The process is transparent for the applications.=20

I'm currently using an encrypted home slice and don't see any
problems. My setup is very similar to:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.=
html#AEN25438

Fabian