Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:16:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        gavin@itworks.com.au
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgear MA401 wireless cards

In message: <007101c227f9$c202f970$6401a8c0@bugs>
            "Gavin Cameron" <gavin@itworks.com.au> writes:
: Any ideas what I can tweak to get some decent speed out of the network?

Any chance that you have interference from other 2.4GHz devices?  Try
a different channel and see if it still happens.  Also, does this
happen if you have a FreeBSD laptop on the other end?

I see good data rates for my hostap setup here.  Typically on the same
order as the data rates that I see for my store bought APs.  The FTP
transfers are on the order of 600kB/s depending on what else is going
on.  Samba is a network pigdog, but I wouldn't expect things to be
that slow.  You have plenty of signal (-95 is good, it means the card
reported '54' as its signal, which is -100 + (54 * 100 / 255) dBm or
about -78dBm, which is respectible.

Turn on wi0 debug (ifconfig wi0 debug) and let me know what you see.
You should see some initial traffic while it associates, then you
shouldn't see any additional output at all, except maybe the odd
message about discarding traffic for some MAC addresses.

Warner