Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 09:20:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.0 enters BETA status in 12 days!

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > > It's been "important" for a pile of reasons, all of which have been
> > > discussed to death.  Now is not a good time to be asking "why".
> > >
> > I have a large project in a.out format I have no time to rebuild this code
> > If I had to do that I could also move to linux (Yard is working fine
> > even if it's slower)
>
> Why don't you stick with -stable for your project then?  I'm not sure
> I'd try to deploy *anything* commercial based on 3.0 right now, and
> certainly not before the ELF transition was completed and well shaken
> out, so I find this Yard connection to be rather inexplicable.  If
> they're wanting to sell this thing, then the market for the next 6
> months or so is not going to be 3.0, it's going to be 2.2.x systems.
> That's what the great majority of our users (and any of Yard's
> potential customers) are running and will continue to run for awhile.
>
> - Jordan

I'm starting an important project right now, after that it will
be impossible to change anything before a year.
I'm actually running yard with net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
this feature is not present in the release of FreeBSD I'm currently using
(I've just received 2.2.7 last friday). In 6 month I can upgrade the
machines not rebuild everything. If I start with 2.2.7 some feature are
missing and I'll have a system I will have to rebuild later.
this project will start slowly in october then reach a maximum in may

FreeBSD will control:

2 minitel servers (old systems) (12000 connections/day in April-June)
the access to a france-wide  (teacher union) intranet.
3 firewalls + ip accounting
3 web/mail/news/ftp servers

--
Didier Derny