Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 01:02:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        ert@hotpop.com (Ertan Kucukoglu)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error about standart c libraries (FreeBSD 3.2)

Ertan Kucukoglu wrote,
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie first of all.
>
> When I try to configure HylaFAX 4.1beta2 program. I get error. Error is
> occured during compiling below piece of C code.
> -----
> #include "iostream.h"
>
> int main()
> {
>    cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
>    return 0;
> }
> -----
>
> I tried manually and see that gcc can not find iostream.h file. I searched
> a little and find two or more iostream.h files on my disk.
>
> Tried to compile with -I but no luck.

That program compiles fine for me,

% c++ hello.cpp -o hello
% ./hello
Hello World!
%

> HylaFAX says that I do not have standart c libraries. But, I think that
> FreeBSD comes with standart libraries. Now, my question is that:
>
> What can I do to configure and compile HylaFAX 4.1beta2 under
> FreeBSD? (Or how can I compile above program?)

Use the port:

# cd /usr/ports/comm/hylafax
# make && make install

Done.

> I also did following:
> I have complete FreeBSD 3.2. I previously installed gcc 2.8.x from
> ports. HylaFAX configure program finds and uses 2.8.x gcc. I renamed 2.8.x
> version executable in order to use gcc version 2.7.x. That also did not
> work.

If you force it to use 'cc', it will find the distirbuted gcc binary
as well.

If the make of the port fails, please send the output of the failure
to the list when asking for more help. Thanks.