Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:44:00 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Vincent Jardin <vjardin@wanadoo.fr>, Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of netns

"Poul-Henning Kamp" wrote:
> In message <200303042025.25227.vjardin@wanadoo.fr>, Vincent Jardin writes:
>
> >Why does it need to be removed ? According to me, it would be the same mista
    ke
> >as the removal of netiso and netccitt. I did not know FreeBSD at this time,
> >but nowadays, in order to get an OS that supports many stacks, we have to us
> >NetBSD.
> >
> >BSD4.4 was designed in order to support many stacks, FreeBSD 6, 7 ou 9 will
> >support only IPv4 and IPv6, won't they ?
>
> We will import and retain any protocol stack which has enough interested
> users and committers to keep it alive.
>
> netiso and netccitt both fell for both of those criteria: neither users
> nor committers.
>
> netns fails both criteria too.

Yep. It was removed in 1996 as well, because it didn't work.  One company
(Netcon) objected and claimed that they needed it for their commercial
product and that they'd send fixes.  Now, 7 years later, not a single
person has shown the slightest interest in fixing it.  It may as well have
been left in the Attic the whole time.

revision 1.7
date: 1996/10/17 18:42:19;  author: jkh;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -1
branches:  1.7.2;
Bring back netns so that Netcon can take over support for it, as agreed.

Cheers,
-Peter