Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 01:56:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de (Joachim Kuebart)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape Navigator 3.01 without named

Hi,

> Has anybody else noticed the problem that Netscape Navigator 3.01 wants to
> get DNS data before querying a host? My local setup works with a /etc/hosts file
> and /etc/host.conf is:
>
> 	hosts
> 	bind
>
> I am unable to get Netscape connect to the local httpd even if I enter its IP address,
> Netscape keeps complaining about not finding the hosts DNS entry (although it is located
> in the /etc/hosts file). Do I have to start named (and live with the overhead) to get
> it working properly?
>
> c u Jo

Netscape and some other programs (nslookup(8), host(1)) seem to ignore
/etc/host.conf and /etc/hosts. This annoying "feature" unnecessarily
bloats the administration of small local networks that are connected
to the Internet by a switched line only.

I am very much interested in a solution to this problem that avoids
firing up named just for telling me who I am.

Wolfgang