Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:26:35 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> How would people feel about adding /usr/local/include and
> /usr/local/lib to gcc's default header and library search paths,
> respectively? As somebody pointed out in a recent thread on -stable,
> we already have /usr/local/lib in the default ldconfig_path, so why
> not in the link-time search path as well?

It can be dangerous. Sometimes people have headers in /usr/local/include
that conflict with headers in /usr/include. If /usr/local/include is
added as default search path, make world could break. The evidence can
be found in spurious postings about some port breakage (rpm for
example).

Also, having /usr/local/lib in ldconfig_path is not really a precedent
for adding /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib to the standard
compile-time search paths. We need (for example) /usr/X11R6/lib in
ldconfig_path, but don't want X11 related searches baked into our
compiler.

If we do it, then it should be done with care. Personally, I don't think
it's really necessary...

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/