Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:43:18 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Robert_Blacqui=E8re?= <freebsd@guldan.demon.nl>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extreme filesystem sloth

--cPi+lWm09sJ+d57q

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 04:59:08PM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>=20
> On 28-Nov-2001 Harry Putnam wrote:
> >  4.3-STABLE on a Toshiba 4005 (Pentium II 233mhz)
> > =20
> >  Let me preface these remarks with a comment to set the tone.
> >  This is not an attempt at starting a religous war a la=20
> >  linux vs FreeBSD.
> > =20
> >  I suspect what I see is the result of poor or misguided configs on my
> >  part but have no clue what things to look at.
>=20
> Turn softupdates on.
> (man tunefs)

As far as i know linux ext2fs is an async filesystem which is faster but
lacks any security over an power failure or other system crashes.=20
FreeBSD uses default no fs speedups, you can turn softupdates on an
mount the file systems async. This will speedup any disc access with a
multiple or so. But in case of an error/crash more difficult and loss of
data could be result of this.

There are some nice doc's about freebsd's filesystems and tunings.

>=20
> Possibly also turn write caching on if it is off.
> (man ata)
>=20
> ---
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum
>=20

--=20
FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: He guys you left some holes out there!

--cPi+lWm09sJ+d57q

--cPi+lWm09sJ+d57q--