Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:23:40 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, "Jonathon McKitrick" <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Video Stupidity

> >Wouldn't that just encourage other companies to sell _cheaper_?
>
> Nope; it's like airline pricing. When the leader goes up, the others
> generally follow.

	Yes, but the others don't set their pricing quite as high as the leader
does. Eventually, the other companies competing with each other push the
prices down and the leader's pricing becomes largely irrelevant. At that
point, the 'leader' either has to do what the others or doing or abandon the
market. This is perfectly demonstrated by IBM in the PC market.

	This isn't guaranteed to happen. It requires sufficient demand and that the
leader set its pricing sufficiently high. So long as there are profits to be
made by undercutting the leader, and people are free to do so, someone will.
This will happen over and over until it's no longer profitable to undercut.

> What's more, competitors can be goaded into going along via threats
> of harrassing copyright suits.

	Only if the government makes it easy for them to do so. Take a look at some
of the VCR and Rio lawsuits. But understand that it's not entirely fair to
blame the government for holding back technology -- copyright holders have
legitimate rights and interests too.

	If the government lets intellectual property rights get trampled on,
eventually there will be no movies to record on your VCR. The only songs to
play on your Rio will be the ones 'freely available'. And we all know how
good those are.

	DS