Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:54:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDF, userfs

Brian,

Both the Arla and Coda file systems are distributed file systems managed
from userland processes.  They do this by providing loadable kernel
modules (or static compiled in code) to allow userland processes to listen
on a device file (/dev/xfsX for Arla, /dev/codaX for Coda) and receive
"upcalls" from the kernel.  Usually, the userland process is
multi-threaded so that it can handle in parallel requests that might
involve extensive waiting (for example, transfering a large file using a
network file system).  Before writing something from scratch, you may want
to investigate these and see if they meet your needs.  Coda is available
in the base FreeBSD distribution, and Arla as a package.  I know that the
Arla project has put significant work into making their code useful beyond
just an AFS client with the intent in mind that other developers could use
the module for other file systems.  I built a fair portion of a caching
file system based on the Arla kernel module at one point.

Hope this is helpful,

Robert

 On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Brian Beattie wrote:

> I have made a couple of posts to hackers, that probably should have gone
> here to fs.  I and thinking about implementing a UDF filesystem.  The plan
> I am considering, is to implement a "userfs" to allow me to do most of the
> work in a user process.
>
> I have been thinking about the userfs implementation.  I will need some
> way for the user process to talk the backend of the userfs kernel code.
> The two ways I have thought of are I/O,, probably ioctl's or a new system
> call.
>
> I assume that it is possible, using a module to add an entry to the
> syscall table, but I lean more towards a new pseudo device to hang the
> ioctl's off of.
>
> I would be ineterested in any comments.  I would also like to hear from
> anybody who has thought about a userfs implementation for FreeBSD.
>
> Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
> beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
> www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-fs" in the body of the message

  Robert N M Watson