Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:26:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Larry Lee <lclee@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Larry Lee wrote:

> I do think that most people use their computers as communication
> and organization devices, and what is needed in the basic offering
> are applications such as word processors, internet access, fax machines,
> as well as installation procedure to make this stuff work.
>
> I don't think FreeBSD needs to be a windows clone to be accepted.
> Specifically, I don't agree that icons, point/click, and drag/drop
> are _requirements_ to doing useful work. Although I will go see what
> I can find about CDE.

Well, sure.  A keyboard isn't a _requirement_ doing useful work.
There are many people, probably some right here on this list,
that have done lots of useful work using punched cards.  :)

You seem to be saying that FreeBSD needs the functionality and
ease of use of windows to attract people who might otherwise use
Windows.  Then you turn around and say that you don't think that
the GUI model Windows provides is necessary to accomplish that.
To be blunt, you are dead wrong and have completely missed the
fundamental change that interface design took when the GUI was
developed at Xerox and later marketed by Apple.

For better or worse, computer interfaces are not intuitive; they
are idiomatic. People invest time in learning the idiom and what
the GUI offers is consistent use of idioms with visual
affordances from application to application.  The most widely
accepted interface model today is the windows/icon/mouse
interface and if you want people to use your system, you adhere
to that model, or you demonstrate that your model is superior.
The average Joe has long ago rejected the traditional Unix
command model, so what do you propose?

The other thing to note is that the Mac and Windows applications
are successful because they (usually) fit into a well defined
application framework that permits smooth interoperation. Much of
this framework is directly visible only to the developers, but
the users reap the benefits.  What a lot of Unix developers seem
to miss is that the advantages of using the same idiom
consistently across applications almost always outweighs the
advantages of providing a new idiom that may even be slightly
more efficient for a given task.  The latter only becomes
worthwhile if the advantage is very large and the learning time
can be recouped over extensive use.  Another issues is that just
like some ties just don't go with some shirts, not all interface
idioms are compatible; when designing a new idiom, it must blend
well with the existing framework.  X, with its motley collection
of home-brew toolkits just doesn't cut it in this respect.

This application framework is a necessary prerequisite for the
emergence of quality applications that work well enough together
to provide a critical mass to attract more applications and
users.  Unfortunately, X by itself provides **no** such
framework.  Xt adds a thin layer (thick, actually, but that is a
technical issues), but not nearly enough. Motif adds a fair
amount on top of that, including standardizing things like window
management, and drag and drop, and a more usable clipboard model.
CDE is the only thing to date that offers the sort of GUI
application framework that Windows and Mac offer.  Tk appears to
be the runner up but operates at about the same level as Motif.
Java has some interesting potential but still needs work.

Since Motif and CDE are not free, there has been a well unified
opposition to it among many developers.  Unfortunately, that
unification evaporates instantly when presented with the task of
providing an alternative.   :(

If you are at all familiar with the Amiga, it had a similar
framework problem.  Prior to version 2.0 of the operating system,
basic mechanisms for writing GUI software were in place, but no
application framework.  GUI applications, outside of games,
basically sucked.  When 2.0 came out, it came with a style guide
and a toolkit which made following that style guide the path of
least resistance.  Unfortunately, it was too late as would-be
developers of productivity applications had long ago dismissed
the platform.

As a final note, I don't think anybody would argue that Microsoft
has been successful by releasing technically elegant, or even
stable products.  Their interface design isn't that great either.
What Microsoft offers is an assurance of continual improvement.
Windows95 isn't great, but it is a hell of a lot better than
Windows 1.0.  Microsoft is persistent and although it may take
them a number of tries to get something right, they usually will
get it right eventually.

In the Unix/X context, if we want the sort of applications you
are talking about, we need a robust, modern application
framework. The most comprehensive one is CDE.  It is not free,
there are many rough edges, it is incredibly bloated, some
think it is ugly, but with a unified effort, these liabilities
can all be minimized (even price), and some eliminated.  The
commercial Unix world is just now recognizing this as being
essential in their defense against the persistence of Microsoft
and NT.

-john