Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:23:00 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?U8O4cmVuIEtsaW50cnVw?= <soren@klintrup.dk>
To:        bfriedman@emax.ca, freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bge interface configuration caused throttling : Solved

Barry Friedman wrote:
> OS:  FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p2
> Machine:  HP Proliant DL380G4
> Network adapter: HP NC7782 Gigabit Server Adapter
>
> Apparently the use of configuration directives :
>
>   ifconfig_bge0="inet xx.xx.xx.xx  netmask 255.255.240.0 media 100baseTX
>   mediaopt full-duplex"
>
> caused  incoming network traffic to be throttled to a trickle.  When
> the media and mediaopt parameters were removed the interface worked
> perfectly.  Is this gotcha a bug in the bge driver and if so how
> should it be reported?
This is by design in the 'autosense' specification.

If both devices use autosense, they will negotiate a speed and use that
(this does occasionally fail, but it's not something I see very often).

If one device is configured to autosense, and the other is not - the
autosense device will always fall back to half-duplex, if you want to
force full-duplex operation, you have to force this on both ends of the
cable.

Regards,

Søren Klintrup