Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:37:10 -0700
From:      "Aram Compeau" <aram@tibco.com>
To:        Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

You can save youself some $$$ by buying Celerons and slockets (if they
are PPGA Celerons). There's nothing special about a P-III-450. The
Celeron's on-chip full clock cache will probably make things a bit
faster/same for you even with its smaller amount (unless you plan on
running one hell of an I-net server with it).

With the money you save there, buy a different motherboard (Say the
P2B-D), and get Ultra 2 wide SCSI. Then pick up some nice IBM LVD U2W
SCSI drives (Say, the IBM 18LZX if cost is not an issue, 18ES if it is
:-). You'll get a better boost from the U2W SCSI and the faster hard
drives than the dual CPU under most circumstance, IMHO. Those IBM drives
are very nice...

Look at a Sony GDM-F400 monitor if you get the chance. The PT795 is a
fine monitor, but check a Sony out, if possible.

I can highly recommend the Lite-On FS020 case over an Inwin Q500. Only
$143 at Cobra Computers (good mail-order company, too). Look under
`Products->Cases and Power Supplies->Server Cases`. The model is
FSP-020....
    http://www.cobracomp.net/

Everything else looks ok, or I'm not sure about. Good luck! :-)

-Aram