Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:22:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux-like locate?

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > Hey all, I had an experience with locate on a linux system once, and I
> > noted that for regular users, it displayed world-readable directories,
> > whereas if you ran locate as root, it automatically had a separate
> > database which seemed to index the whole hard drive (including /var/log,
> > etc).  Is there any way to get this functionality under FreeBSD?
>
> 	FreeBSD has a locate command also. You have to build the database
> under /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

I know, I use locate and love it, but the FreeBSD locate builds the
database as "Nobody", which means any directory that Nobody cannot read is
not indexed.  Under linux, there are two such databases, one built as
nobody, and one built as root.  For some of the things I want to use it
for, the nobody one is useless, because most of my user homedirs are
chowned 700 or 701

-D

--

"One...plus two...plus one...plus one."