Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:25:49 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Philip Radford <phil@chycor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BST instead of GMT

Philip Radford wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am looking for a way to get my FreeBSD 5.3 box to show my local time as BST (British Summer Time) as apposed to GMT.
>
>I have checked and double-checked the timezone and have set this to Europe/London.
>
>However I think I need to do something with the locale. Hunting around led me to the /etc/login.conf and the concept of classes but can't understand or follow the documentation to get it set up correctly.

Check that /etc/localtime exists and is the same as the London timezone
file:

$ diff /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London

should produce no output.

Also check that you do not have a TZ variable set as that will affect
what date shows you.

I've never had to do anything login class related to make this work.

There may be other things...

--Alex