Date:      13 Jul 2000 16:29:44 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: webglimpse port breaks at `make install'

Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au> writes:

> I'm no expert on this, but
>
> (a) are you sure that you ran the "make" as root.
>
> (b) check the permissions on /usr/local/www:

I tried to check all the easy stuff before posting so as not to waste time.

> 	ls -ld /usr/local/www
>
> It should be:
>
> 	drwxr-xr-x  6 root  wheel  512 Mar 23 17:01 /usr/local/www

drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Jul 13 15:51 /usr/local/www

> (c) as user "root", try making a file in the directory:
>
> 	cd /usr/local/www
> 	mkdir cgi-bin

# mkdir /usr/local/www/cgi-bin
(it works)

ls /usr/local/www:
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jul 13 16:15 cgi-bin
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Jul 13 15:48 webglimpse

Even if I create the cgi-bin before running `make install' I stll get
that same error as posted.

Funny thing is that I had no /usr/local/www before trying to install
webglimpse.  It made that directory and populated it to an extent.

I 've tried deleting it and rerunning make , make install etc etc
Same message shows up and the install is aborted.

> If this fails, it may give you clue as to what's going on (no disc space
> maybe?).  Maybe that particular directory is there, with stuff in it?  But
> the port should check for that.
>
> 	Hope one of these helps.

Not yet ...