Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 07:54:01 -0500
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Vlad Skvortsov <vss@ulstu.ru>
Subject:   Re: rsaref package - where to get ?

On 24-Aug-2000, Vlad Skvortsov wrote:
>Where can I download rsaref package in order SSH from 4.1-R to
>work ?

Although you've already received the answer to your question, I can't
help but mention that you probably want librsaintl if you're outside
of the United States.  (I noticed the .ru email address)

rsaref is the implementation us yanks have to use due to the (soon to be
gone) patent restrictions on the rsa algorithims.  librsaintl is in all
respects a better solution.  To quote:

[/usr/ports/security/librsaintl/pkg/DESCR]

    This port provides an optional plugin for /usr/lib/libcrypto.* to
    implement the RSA algorithm using the native EAY/OpenSSL optimized
    code.  While libcrypto can use RSAREF, that package has severe
    restrictions including no commercial use.  The OpenSSL RSA code has
    no such restrictions and is much faster and more flexible, but is
    thought to not be legally usable in the USA due to patents on the
    RSA algorithm.
    If you can legally use this port, you should it in preference
    to the RSAREF option for libcrypto.