Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:31:28 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading our mail server

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 11:56:24AM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> --On Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:45:49 -0500 Greg Groth
> <ggroth@gregs-garage.com> wrote:
> >
> >Are any of the major server brands more FreeBSD friendly than others? I'm
> >looking to purchase a server for some web apps.  Our current config is
> >running on a 6 year old Dell PowerEdge machine with SCSI RAID 5, 1 Ghz
> >processor, 32 gig total disk capacity, and a gig of RAM.  Upgrading this
> >machine would cost more than it's worth.  Boss insists on a name brand
> >server (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc).  Budget is in the $2K range.  I'd rather
> >stay away from SATA at this point due to the incredible amount of
> >difficulty I experienced putting together a MythTV box earlier this year,
> >and go with SCSI.  If no one has specific recommendations, are there any
> >specifics that are definite show stoppers that I should pay attention to
> >when reviewing specs?

There is a company calling itself FreeBSD systems that claims to
make servers especially for BSD Unix.   I don't know about the
price points.  I think they are kind of hard core heavy duty servers.
Their web site is:
                      http://www.freebsdsystems.com/

I seem to remember once seeing another site that hyped their servers
as especially for BSD, but this is the only one I have an address for.

The Dell machine mentioned below doesn't sound bad either if all
the devices are happy with FreeBSD.

////jerry