Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:38:16 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        tb@deskmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing 3.1-RELEASE

tb@deskmail.com wrote:

> When installing from the HD, I:
> + Put fBSD downloaded files into C:\FreeBSD\. The bin folder,
> along with its files, is in a subdir there, C:\FreeBSD\bin\.

     I don't know if this is the problem, but the FreeBSD install
process probably expects a RockRidge format CD (which is an extension of
ISO9660), and, assuming you burned the CD under Windows, you probably
created a plain ISO9660 or Joliet format CD.  The result is that the
CDROM probably contains all-uppercase filenames, and the install program
is probably expecting lowercase names like the ones that you see at the
ftp site.  Unlike windows, Unix filenames are usually case-sensitive,
and so case matters.

[ If you used Joliet, which is also an extension on top of ISO9660,
  Windows can see lowercase filenames, but the FreeBSD install program
  doesn't understand Joliet, and sees only the underlying uppercase
  ISO9660 filenames. ]

     If you have access to a Unix box, your best bet is to create a
RockRidge CD image under Unix using "mkisofs" or "mkhybrid", and then
transfer the image back to your windows box for burning onto a CD.
That's what I did, as an interim solution, while I was waiting for my
3.1-RELEASE CDROM from Walnut Creek.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.