Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:15:46 -0400
From:      bobj@atlantic.net
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        peter@sysadmin-inc.com
Subject:   Re: How To's

Quoting Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>:

> I've been disappointed with the aparent absence of HOW TO documents for
> freebsd (at least that can be located from the freebsd.org website).
>
> bsdtoday has a how too link, and i was surprised to find exactly what i was
> looking for, through that site, but located at
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkb/howto.html
>
> This is exactly the document I was looking for.
>
> Why don't we have a how too link on the freebsd main page?

There is a Tutorial link on the main FreeBSD page, but there is
such a small handful of stuff on the page that your complaint
is still entirely valid.

There seem to be a LOT of useful web pages on various FreeBSD.org
servers that would be a wonderful resource if people only knew
about them.  For instance, there is a mail archive that is actually
useful, but I forget its URL.

A "miscellaneous documentation" section of the main FreeBSD site
could have pointers to a lot of these unpolished, but extremely
useful, documents and web pages.  I think it would be very helpful.
Obviously, the people who create those pages would have to notify the
web page maintainer(s) about them, but that should be easier than
having to post the same URL to the -questions or -stable list every
other week.

> I feel that this type of usefull information could really help if it were
> also included in the documentation that comes with freebsd.  There's a
> wealth of information about the specifics of how to write complex ipfw
> rules, but I've not been able to find a single document that gives you the
> bare bones of what you need to do to enable ipfw.  The closes i found on
> the
> distribution documentation is an article about dialup ppp firewalling, and
> it appears to be out of date to the point that the instructions don't work
> with freebsd 4.1.
>
> Please consider putting together a HOW TO page and putting a link to it on
> the main freebsd site under documentation.  We need it.

Another link that would be useful is to www.freebsddiary.org.  It has a
lot of the sort of informal how-to stuff that does a great job of
supplementing the formal docs at FreeBSD.org.  Rather than try to duplicate
the effort that went into that site, provide a prominent link to it
(perhaps on the tutorials page) so that people can still got to FreeBSD.org
as their first resource for docs.

They may end up at FreeBSDdiary, or BSDtoday, but they will know they
can get there by starting at FreeBSD.org.

Another way of saying what I mean is that in addition to providing
links to alternate documentation sites on the "more..." (docs.html)
page, they should also be prominently featured on pages where their
content would be appropriate if it were integrated into the FreeBSD
pages.  That way a person looking for, say, a tutorial on the tutorials
page would find at the end of the page a link that says something like
"More FreeBSD tutorials are available at the FreeBSD Diary, and at
FreeBSD HowTo's for the Lazy and Hopeless", or something like that.

I think the bottom line is that unpolished documentation is better
than no documentation at all, and rather than let pride lead us to
try to cram it all into the FreeBSD site, we should try to make
better use of the other resources that already exist by making it
easy for someone who is looking for FreeBSD information on the main
site to find information that happens to be on other sites.  That
would allow us to still provide "one stop shopping", but do it by
making efficient use of the other resources.

I'm not claiming that I know exactly how to best accomplish this,
but I think that more liberal use of links to other web sites would
be a good start.

> Peter Brezny
> SysAdmin Services, Inc.

- Bob Johnson