Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:12:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Max Clark <max.clark@emind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Raid-1 Mirroring of boot disk using vinum?

On Thursday,  8 June 2000 at 15:07:17 -0700, Max Clark wrote:
> This hardware mirroring thing has gotten way out of control...
>
> New question - I have a single processor server with two 10K RPM
> 18GB hard drives. This machine will take over e-mail duties from an
> old P1 4GB machine. Given that I will be running FreeBSD,
> qmail-1.03, POP3 (no IMAP), and maybe Apache what would be the best
> partition configuration.
>
> We are currently serving 15,000 e-mails a day and the company is growing.
>
> I was thinking something like this:
>
> Disk 1 -
> 	/	500MB
> 	swap	256 MB
> 	/var	500MB
> 	/usr	~16GB
>
> Disk 2 -
> 	/home	18GB

Why?  Most of your email is going to go into the /var partition, which
is far too small.  Your root file system is at least ten times the
size it needs to be.  And what are you going to put in /usr and /home?

My current tendency is not to have a separate /usr file system, since
it's relatively easy to predict the size of /usr, and it's convenient
to have it available in single user mode.  If you omit /usr
(i.e. leave it on the root file system), you might do reasonably well
with:

Disk 1 -
        /       500MB
        swap    512 MB