Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 11:42:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: name resolution (domainname expansion)

> > > Under 2.1.0-R I can do:
> > >
> > > ftp ftp.informatik
> > >
> > > and the system expands this to
> > >
> > > ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de  (as one would expect).
> > >
> > > this doesn't seem to work under 2.2-current.

It doesn't work for me under either 2.1R, 2.1.5, or -current on any of
my boxes.

> > > I'm getting unknown host instead.
> >
> > Do you have HOSTALIASES set on your 2.1 box?
>
> If you tell me where it is set. Do you mean in the environment?
> No.

If you set the HOSTALIASES environment variable to a filename so you can
fill the file up with 'alias' for hostnames.

If it's not set, check /etc/hosts.  ftp.informatik doesn't exist, so
whatever is expanding it is local to your 2.1R system.

Nate