Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 00:11:49 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promise SCSIPlus?

On Jul 21, Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net> wrote:

> I've heard this has the NCR 815 chip.  Before I buy one, can anyone
> confirm whether or not and/or how well this card works (2.2-stable)?

I haven't used one myself, but the chip should definitely work.
But I'd consider buying a 53c875 based card with 8bit SCSI bus,
instead, since they seem to be offered for about the same price,
today. (E.g. the Tekram DC390U or the Symbios Sym8750 fall into
this class.)

The 53c875 cards support Ultra SCSI and have a number of features
not found in first generation NCR chips (well, the 815 is kind
of second generation, already, but the 875 is much better :)

Regards, STefan